If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (215) 579-4423

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Get Rid of That Musty Mold Smell Post Flood With These Tips

3/16/2018 (Permalink)

This school had been flooded from the resent storms in Yardley.

If your building was recently in a flood, you may have taken all the necessary steps to restore your building to like-new condition but still notice that there is a musty, moldy smell pervading the air. While that is completely normal, it is a matter that needs to be dealt with swiftly and effectively. That musty smell is due to mold growth, which occurs when flood water is not completely cleaned out of a building. This can be disheartening to hear, especially if you took drastic measures to clean your building. Fortunately, there is a solution. Whether you recently experienced sewage loss or a flood, these tips can help you get rid of that moldy smell for good:

• Re-inspect the damaged areas
• If the affected area is small, clean it yourself
• If the affected area is larger, reach out to your Newtown, PA water restoration team
• Know which tools to use and which to avoid

Look for Water Damage

If you want to get rid of that moldy smell, you need to locate the source of it. Mold growth is usually visible, but if it’s not immediately obvious, look for sitting water, leaks, drooping ceilings and wall discoloration.

Clean Up

Depending on the size of the area and whether or not there is mold, you may or may not be able to clean up the damage yourself. If the area is small and mold is not present, getting rid of that musty smell may just require you to sprinkle some baking soda over wet patches of carpet or to rub white vinegar over furniture. If there is mold, and if the affected area is fairly large, it would be best to contact a Newtown, PA flood damage restoration team.

If you attempt to clean up yourself, avoid bleach, as bleach only kills live mold but not spores. Employ dehumidifiers, fans and other air moving machines to get air circulating and mold spores out.

Typically, the musty smell post-flood comes from mold growth. If your building still smells musty after thoroughly cleaning your building, contact your water restoration team today. Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on commercial water damage. 

Other News

View Recent Posts